Maintaining our health and wellness is on everyone’s minds today. Alternative and preventative therapies and holistic medicine can support a healthy lifestyle and also provide options for various diseases and illnesses. While many of us are familiar with traditional medicine, there has been a strong push for more holistic or alternative medicine in recent years.
Natural remedies, acupuncture, naturopathy, homeopathy, chiropractic care, and herbology are just a few holistic medicine areas that can significantly reduce pain and improve your wellness naturally. As the world realizes the impact of more natural options and career opportunities in this field become more abundant, many students have chosen to pursue an online alternative medicine degree.
Everglades University offers a competitive holistic-based program where students can earn a Bachelor’s degree in Alternative Medicine. This degree will enable students to incorporate a holistic approach to their careers and be successful in a variety of industries such as healthcare, sports, rehabilitation, management, spas, leisure and the beauty industries. Learn more about how to get an online or on-campus alternative medicine degree to start your career in this holistic field.
How to Find a Good Online Alternative Medicine Degree Program
While many colleges are ramping up their online degree programs, it is vital to choose a school and degree program that fits your needs and schedule.
Choose a School That Excels in Online Learning
Choosing to learn primarily online brings unique circumstances and challenges. It is crucial to choose a school that understands how to effectively interact with online students to make sure that they get the most out of their education.
Everglades University offers both in-person learning on campus and online courses for every bachelor’s and master’s degree program that they offer. This variety of options makes it easy to reach your career goals and better your education with just an internet connection. Choosing a school with a proven track record of online learning is essential when selecting an online alternative medicine degree.
Choose a School with a Proven Track Record
While awards are not everything in life, it is always comforting to know that other prestigious institutions recognize your school. Everglades University is often ranked on some of the nation’s highest college lists and appears on top lists year after year. Take a look at some of the most recent accomplishments:
- Ranked #1 in Best Fully Online College by Stacker
- Ranked #8 in Best Online Colleges in America by Niche.com
- Ranked #26 as a Top Performer on Social Mobility by US News and World Report Best Colleges
- Ranked #17 for 2020 Best Online Colleges in Florida by Learn.org
- Ranked as a 2020 Best College by Money Magazine
- Recognized as a Nation’s Top 2020-2021 Military Friendly School by MilitaryFriendly.com
- Ranked #42 on Study.com’s Best Online Bachelor’s Degree Programs
Choose an Accredited University
As a pioneer in providing online programs to students worldwide, Everglades University knows the value of being an accredited university. Choosing an accredited university ensures a strictly monitored education and that the school is doing all that it can to give students the best education possible. As of January 2010, Everglades University has been accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools for Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programs.
What Online Alternative Medicine Degree Courses Can You Expect to Take?
The Bachelor of Science Degree with a Major in Alternative Medicine program offers students the necessary training and knowledge to enter the alternative medicine career field. The following classes touch on the many different holistic medicine aspects to prepare students for their future careers.
General Education Courses
These courses comprise 30 credit hours of the degree and are a solid foundation for the program.
- English Composition I
- English Composition II
- Introduction to Computer Applications
- American Literature
- College Algebra
- College Math
- Political Science
- Fundamentals of Nutrition
- Introduction to Psychology
Lower Division Required Courses
These 18 credit hours help introduce students to the online alternative medicine degree program.
- Introduction to Health and Wellness Systems
- Introduction to Sustainability
- General Biology
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Advanced Anatomy and Physiology
- Introduction to Understanding Clinical Research
Students can choose from one of the following options to fulfill these 21 credit hours of the program.
- Alternative Medicine Track
- Stress Reduction and Relaxation
- Men’s Health
- Exercise Science and Sports
- Women’s Health
- Clinical Decision Making
- Introduction to Integrated Health Science
- The Meaning of Health
- Science Track
- Advanced Biology
- General Chemistry
- General Chemistry Lab
- Advanced Chemistry
- Advanced Chemistry Lab
- Organic Chemistry I
- Organic Chemistry I Lab
- Organic Chemistry II
- General Physics
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- Students work with a dean to verify if prior learning or experience counts towards these credits. The school may often accept prior knowledge in Health Services Administration, Natural Science, Physical Science, and Allied Health for transfer credit.
Upper Division Required Courses
The bulk of this major includes the following 54 credit hours of courses that deepen the understanding of alternative medicine.
- Dietary Influences on Health and Disease
- Manual Therapies: Massage, Reflexology, and Acupressure
- Introduction to Chiropractic
- Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Health Psychology
- Herbology and Botany
- Nutrition and Aging
- Alternative Approaches to Disease
- Introduction to Homeopathy
- Principles of Acupuncture
- The Herbal Medicine Chest
- Miasms and Constitutional Treatment
- Detoxification and Healing
- Ayurvedic Medicine
- Body Awareness and Physical Movement
- Alternative Medicine Capstone Course
Future Career Options for Online Alternative Medicine Degree Grads
Students who choose to pursue an online alternative medicine degree understand that this program does not award any license or certification upon graduation. This degree program suits those who want to enter the holistic or alternative medicine field by working in healthcare, spas, rehabilitation, sports, or the beauty industry.
Some future career options include opening up your own business that offers clients holistic remedies for pain and discomfort. Other graduates choose to provide different healing types, including acupuncture or massage techniques that may require additional licensing and certification. It is also not uncommon for hospitals and health groups to hire one of our graduates to help offer other options that align more with the patient’s personal beliefs and goals.
Earning an online alternative medicine degree from Everglades University is the first step in a long and fulfilling career. Serving others and reducing pain with natural and alternative medicine tactics can bring healing to both you and your clients. Contact our admissions office today to apply online for this program and get started in the exciting world of holistic medicine.